The LIBER Groupe des Cartothécaires and the Institut Cartogràfic de Catalunya (ICC) are delighted to invite you to the 18th Conference of the LIBER Groupe des Cartothécaires which will be held on Tuesday 17 and Wednesday 18 April 2012 in Barcelona, Spain.
With this event the ICC wants to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the last LIBER GdC celebrated in Barcelona in 1992.
The ICC is also in contact with the ICA Commission on Digital Technologies in Cartographic Heritage, to discuss the possibility of organizing the annual workshop of the ICA Commission “Digital approaches to Cartographic Heritage”, which will be held in Barcelona too, on the days after the LIBER GdC conference, i.e. 19-20 April, in order to facilitate people to attend both events.
The conference language will be English, and no translation services are provided. More information can be found here.
CALL FOR PAPERS
The Barcelona LIBER GdC 2012 conference will welcome abstracts on the following topics:
- Born digital maps in map libraries. How to integrate born digital maps in our map collections, digital preservation, SDI’s, etc.
- Europeana and the European map libraries. Which standards of cataloguing should be used and what about copyrights? Is cooperation between map libraries necessary before including items in Europeana? Can Europeana be a way for digital cooperation between institutions?
- Map libraries in today’s economic crisis or how to do more with less. How to improve map libraries with less personnel and less budget in a quickly changing world: Can new techniques be a tool in this, what about users as virtual cataloguers, how to share metadata and what about a project’s continuity after an institution’s participation in international projects.
Three types of presentations will be accepted:
- Regular presentations of 20 to 30 minutes on one of the major topics of the conference. The text of the paper will be distributed to the audience before its presentation.
- Short presentations of 5 to 10 minutes on new projects or specific experiences in the field of map librarianship. An abstract is needed to accept the presentation but it is not necessary to write a paper.
- Poster presentations: space for posters will be available in the exhibition room. A submission abstract is needed in order to present a poster.
Abstracts of up to 500 words should be submitted for approval to the board members of the LIBER GdC and to the ICC organization at the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org with subject LIBERGDC2012.
The text of the approved regular presentations will be sent to the conference desk properly formatted following these guidelines: a Word compatible document, up to 5000 words, with max. 5 illustrations (the author must have negotiated copyrights and royalties) Notes and bibliography will be placed at the end of the text.