Across Europe, thousands of museums, galleries and archives are digitising their collections and putting them online via Europeana. There is a need for a cheaper, more sustainable infrastructure, capable of storing both metadata and content. Moreover, researchers require a digital space where they can undertake innovative exploration and analysis of Europe’s digitised content.
The Europeana Cloud project will change the way data is sent to the Europeana portal. It will deliver an efficient solution to storing, sharing and providing access to the digital cultural heritage content brought together by Europeana.
This will benefit data providers and aggregators to Europeana by reducing costs; not only in managing IT services but also in sharing and managing data. Europeana Cloud will also act as a platform for third-party services, drawing on data in the Cloud to support different uses in the creative industries, research and other fields.
LIBER’s role in Europeana Cloud is mainly in the dissemination and networking tasks; LIBER has helped extensively to update and maintain the website, to communicate activity via social media and to present the project at external events.
Our involvement falls under LIBER’s strategic Key Performance Area (KPA) Reshaping the Research Library and is closely connected to the KPA Scholarly Communication & Research Infrastructures.
LIBER Members Involved in Europeana Cloud
- KU Leuven University Library, Leuven, Belgium
- Brussels Open University Libraries, Brussels, Belgium
- Library of the Croatian Academy of Arts and Sciences, Zagreb, Croatia
- National Library of Technology, Prague, Czech Republic
- The Royal Library – National Library and Copenhagen University, Copenhagen, Denmark
- Bavarian State Library, Munich, Germany
- Bielefeld University Library, Bielefeld, Germany
- University of Patras – Library & Information Centre, Patras, Greece
- University and National Library Debrecen, Debrecen, Hungary
- Tilburg University Library, Tilburg, Netherlands
- Gothenburg University Library, Gothenburg, Sweden
- Main Library, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, United Kingdom
- The Open University Library, Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
- National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
- University College London, London, United Kingdom
For further questions about Europeana Cloud, please contact LIBER’s EU Projects Manager Melanie Imming.