At LIBER’s 2017 Annual Conference, two new members will be appointed to the Executive Board.
Four candidates were nominated. They are:
- Dr Søren Bertil Fabricius Dorch, University Library of Southern Denmark, Denmark
Proposer: Mr Wilhelm Widmark, Stockholm University Library, Sweden (Nomination Form)
- Dr Anna Maria Wałek, Gdańsk University of Technology, Poland
Proposer: Professor Janusz Smulko, Vice-Rector for Science, Gdańsk University of Technology, Poland (Nomination Form)
- Ms Agnès Ponsati Obiols, Spanish National Research Council (CSIC), Spain
Proposer: Mr Lluís Anglada i de Ferrer, Consorci de Serveis Universitaris de Catalunya (CSUC), Spain (Nomination Form)
- Ms Ulla Maria Nygrén, Turku University Library, Finland
Proposer: Ms Minna Kaarina Niemi-Grundström, Tampere University Library, Finland (Nomination Form)
Since there are more candidates than the number of Board vacancies, there will be a vote by closed ballot for the Meeting of Participants during the Annual Conference in Patras.
The procedures for a closed ballot are set out in the ‘Regulations Governing Appointments to the Executive Board of LIBER in line with LIBER’s Rules and Regulations’ (latest issue, March 2017). The full Regulations may be consulted on the LIBER website. To summarise:
- A numbered Voting Paper will be issued to each LIBER Participant entitled to vote. This paper will be issued by the LIBER Desk, on arrival at the Annual Conference.
- LIBER Participants in the Institution and Organisation categories are entitled to vote.
- Completed Voting Papers must be returned by LIBER Participants and placed in the secure ballot box held at the LIBER Desk at the latest by 09.00 on the morning of the Meeting of Participants on Thursday 6 July 2017.
A LIBER Participant not able to send a personal representative to be present at the Meeting of Participants may delegate its right to vote to another Participant acting as proxy. Any Participant intending to delegate its vote shall notify the Secretary-General not less than 24 hours before the Meeting of Participants of its intention to delegate its vote, and shall name the proxy in writing on the Proxy Voting Form to the Secretary-General, Dr Ann Matheson. The Proxy Voting Form can also be sent to the LIBER Office.
Please note that a Proxy Voting Paper may be obtained from the LIBER representative at the LIBER Desk up to 17.00 on Wednesday 5 July 2017, upon receipt of a Proxy Voting Form showing a Participant’s intention to delegate its vote to a proxy.
The ballot count will take place at 09.00 on the morning of the Meeting of Participants (Thursday 6 July 2017), and will be supervised by three tellers appointed by the Meeting of Participants.
When the count has been completed, the results giving the names of the candidates for the vacancy and the numbers of votes cast for each candidate shall be given to the Secretary-General by the appointed counting officers on the ballot count results sheet. In the event of a tied vote for a vacancy, a second closed ballot shall take place.
The result of the closed ballot will be announced by the Secretary-General at the Meeting of Participants, and the names of the candidates appointed to the two vacancies shall be given. If a second ballot has been required, the results of the second ballot shall also be announced by the Secretary-General.
Following the Meeting of Participants, the appointments to the Board will be announced on the LIBER website and will be circulated to LIBER Participants in the August 2017 LIBER Mailing.