Are you dynamic and flexible, and would you like to work for an international library organisation? Do you have broad knowledge and understanding of the current movements in the library business? Do you have experience implementing communication and PR activities? Do you have a good oral and written knowledge of English, and a familiarity with other European languages? Do you have talent for working with stakeholders from different countries?
LIBER (Association of European Research Libraries / Ligue des Bibliothèques Européennes de Recherche) is looking for a Communication and Public Relations Officer.
The primary focus of this role will be communication and PR activities relating to European projects in which LIBER is a partner. You will be responsible for undertaking the duties listed in the project description of work which have been assigned to LIBER. You will plan, develop and implement overall PR strategies for LIBER. The Communication and Public Relations Officer reports directly to the LIBER Executive Director.
- plan and implement the communication and PR activities in European projects in which LIBER is involved
- work with other project partners and co-ordinate communication and PR actions and work packages
- identify and liaise with different stakeholders in the context of several (European) projects
- promote projects and raise awareness through workshops, conferences, social media and other tools
- support the LIBER Office in communication and PR activities
- draft communication and PR plans for LIBER
- build and maintain the reputation of LIBER as an organisation and get LIBER’s core messages across
- maintain regular and effective contacts with press and other targeted audiences (libraries, universities, EU institutions)
- research, write and distribute press releases to targeted media
- collate and analyse media coverage
- organise events including press conferences
- attend networking and media events
- source and manage speaking opportunities
- organise photo and video opportunities
Required skills and experience:
- University degree
- Experience in a communication/PR role
- Full experience of current communication tools, in particular social media
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent knowledge of oral and written English. Understanding of at least 2 other European languages
- Familiarity with/interest in current issues in research libraries
- Full knowledge of the MS Office suite of tools including Word, Outlook, Explorer, Acrobat and Photoshop.
- Dynamic, flexible and with a demonstrable feeling for innovation
- Ability to work on a variety of projects simultaneously, prioritise a heavy workload and meet targets
- Sense of diplomacy and a leader at the same time
- International experience is desirable
Terms and conditions of employment
The initial appointment (40 hours per week) will be for 1 year. The post of Communication Officer will be located in the LIBER Office in the National Library of the Netherlands in The Hague. Regular travel outside The Netherlands will be required.
Salary will be based on Scale 10: minimum € 2,339,- to maximum € 3,707,- gross per month full-time, plus a vacation allowance of 8%, and a December allowance of 8.33%. In addition you will be entitled to 42 days holiday per year. The Labour Agreement is based on the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Research Centres (http://www.wvoi.nl/default.asp?cid=92&pid=76/).
Out-of-hours working, including occasional weekends, will also be expected in association with conferences and meetings.
For further information contact Wouter Schallier, LIBER Executive Director: e-mail: email@example.com. Interested? Please send your CV with a covering letter in English to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please clearly mention your phone number and/or skype ID.
Deadline for applications: 8th of August 2011. Interviews will be held on the 16th of August 2010 (to be confirmed), starting at 1pm CET, via phone or skype.
More about us:
LIBER (Association of European Research Libraries / Ligue des Bibliothèques Européennes de Recherche) is the major association of research libraries in Europe and has its office in the National Library of the Netherlands in The Hague.
LIBER represents and promotes the interests of more than 420 research libraries and related organizations in 40 countries. We develop services for our members in order to preserve the European cultural heritage and to guarantee access to research information; we help libraries to set up adequate and innovative information services to support teaching, learning and research in their institutions; and we invest in efficient and effective library management.
More information about LIBER can be found at http://libereurope.eu