What is the role of the library in terms of dealing with data, and how might this role change in the future?
That question was recently discussed at a workshop organised by LIBER and OpenAIRE. The workshop included presentations and discussions from nearly 20 speakers. Key learning points from the session included:
- the existence of a perceived lack of confidence about dealing with data in research libraries;
- a need for libraries to consider working collaboratively with other units and other libraries, as a way of harnessing richer research information;
- the possibility for libraries to play a key role in implementing standards;
- the suggestion to embed RDM in library courses so that a new breed of data librarians is integrated from the start.
Videos from the workshop are now available, for everyone who wasn’t able to attend in person. There is also a detailed written overview on the OpenAIRE website.
1. Introduction speech by Inge Van Nieuwerburgh (UGent) en Najla Rettberg (UGOE).
2. What is open science? A researcher’s perspective’
Erik Mannens (UGent, MMLAB) (download presentation)
3. Research Data Overview
Sarah Callaghan (British Atmospheric Data Centre) (download presentation)
4. “Meet the scientists” A Researcher’s perspective.
5. The data publishing process
‘Supporting scientific communities by publishing data by Peggy Schaeffer (Dryad) (download presentation)
‘Data Publication: a Publisher’s perspective’ by Fiona Murphy (Wiley Publishers) (download presentation)
6. Actively Supporting Data Management : Learning from the Approach of Three Research Institutions
Developing online data management resources for researchers and librarians’ by Robin Rice (Data Librarian, Edinburgh University Data Library) (download presentation)
‘3TU.Datacentrum and Data Intelligence for Librarians: support to staff and researchers on data management’ – Ellen Verbakel (Data Librarian, 3TU.Datacentrum, Delft University) (download presentation)
RDMRose -an open educational resource on Research Data Management tailored for information professionals by Andrew Cox (University of Sheffield) (download presentation)
7. Services and Tools
‘ZENODO – A new innovative service for sharing all research outputs’ by Lars Holm Nielsen (OpenAIRE) (download presentation)
CKAN – A Research Data Management Tool. The University of Lincoln’s experience in implentation’ by Joss Winn (Orbital project, University of Lincoln library) (download presentation)
8. LIBER/OpenAIRE Panel Session
Panelists: Wilma van Wezenbeek (TU Delft Library, Delft) Lukas Koster (Library, University of Amsterdam) Wolfram Horstmann (University of Oxford Library) Chair: Kevin Ashley, (Digital Curation Centre)
Discussion and questions focused around which parts of the data lifecycle the library should take part in; how well placed the library is to fulfill data management needs and how generic library services suit data management.