The recommendations of the Comité des Sages will feed into the Commission’s broader strategy, under the Digital Agenda for Europe, to help cultural institutions make the transition towards the digital age. Moreover, they will serve to the Commission’s plan of developing a sustainable funding model for Europeana by 2012 therefore, please do send this information around your network, link from your website and generally promote its importance.
Recommendations aim at promoting an environment that will help to:
– share our rich and diverse common heritage
– link the past with the present
– preserve this heritage for future generations
– protect the interests of European creators
– nurture creativity, including creative efforts by non-professionals
– contribute to education, and
– spur innovation and entrepreneurship.
You can find the press release http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=IP/11/17; the full report (in English) can be found at http://ec.europa.eu/information_society/activities/digital_libraries/doc/refgroup/final_report_cds.pdf. A summary is available in French and German.