The Scholarly Communication & Research Infrastructures Committee is in charge of Strategic Priority #1: Enabling Open Science.
Research libraries play a key role in enabling Open Science. By doing so, they can increase the transparency and quality of research, create a higher level of citizen engagement and accelerate the pace of scientific discovery through data-driven innovation.
In addition, libraries enable the building of the ‘research commons’ by ensuring accessibility and long-term availability of research results, fostering new forms of publishing and knowledge discovery, and by opening up metadata.
Libraries are key for the development of supporting infrastructure and services. They can provide advocacy and metrics for Open Science, and build partnerships. Research libraries provide access to cultural heritage and collections, and offer their collections for (re)use and innovation beyond institutional boundaries (eg. in the digital humanities).
- Provide a forum for libraries to build capacity and best practice in this area;
- Support the development of skills in RDM;
- Collaborate with other research stakeholders;
- Share information and developments in areas such as digital humanities;
- Develop best practice in the use of metrics.
Support LIBER members in developing skills for RDM
Action #1: Develop a training module addressing policy development and implementation.
- Deliverable #1: Workshop at LIBER 2016 Annual Conference (June/July 2016). Indicator: 70%+ satisfaction.
- Deliverable #2: FOSTER module for libraries (June 2016). Indicator: Module online.
Action #2: Collect and create tools for RDM support services.
- Deliverable #1: A library of Data Management Plans (ongoing).
Best practices in use of metrics
Action #1: Set up a Metrics Working Group.
- Deliverable #1: Develop a workplan (June 2016). Indicator: Published on the LIBER website.
Build Open Science partnerships
- Deliverable #1: Joint publication of COAR/LIBER/ARL/CARL task force (June 2016). Indicator: Published by IOS Press.
- Deliverable #2: Contribution to EDISON events and deliverables (2017). Indicator: Events programme, recognition in deliverables; recommendations endorsed by LIBER.
Action #2: Partner in Open Science Infrastructure Projects.