Job Opening: Communication Specialist – CLOSED
Founded in 1971 and based in The Hague, LIBER is Europe’s largest research library network. We help our university, national and special libraries to support world-class research.
LIBER is looking for a Communication Specialist who can lead the drafting, implementing, and measuring of LIBER’s communication activities, and in conveying LIBER’s internal and external messages. The successful candidate creates, plans, coordinates, and executes communication activities in close collaboration with communication officers within the LIBER office, LIBER’s Steering Committees and Working Groups, the projects in which we participate, and other organisations in the network. Crucially, key messages will be shared with defined target audiences (libraries, universities, EU institutions), to build understanding of LIBER’s mission, enhance LIBER’s image and reputation and create awareness regarding LIBER’s activities.
Are you outgoing and confident in all aspects of external communications? Can you develop and implement communication plans? Are you an excellent writer, editor, and designer? Do you feel at home in developing and managing websites and do you have experience in managing external suppliers? Can you team up with and engage members of LIBER’s office and the wider network to translate LIBER’s activities to the right target groups? Do you have experience with social media (editorial calendar) planning, and can you measure the impact of all these activities, and report on their success through reports and presentations? If so, we invite you to apply. This is a full-time position, starting as soon as possible.
- Create and maintain content across a range of publications and materials including (but not limited to) newsletters, websites, reports, surveys, press releases, infographics, posters, and slide decks.
- Collaborate with office colleagues in the design and implementation of communication activities in the context of LIBER’s projects portfolio and support in the creation of digital, video, audio, and print content.
- Manage LIBER’s main social media channels, both in terms of the planning of new content and the monitoring of activity for trends or comments of importance to LIBER.
- Oversee and edit materials created by network members and office colleagues to ensure clarity of message, consistency of style, and correct use of the LIBER brand.
- Draw up specifications i.e. wireframes and timelines for purchasing processes of, for example, websites and design work.
- Commission, coordinate, and supervise partner agencies to ensure the successful execution of outsourced work (e.g. creating brand guidelines for projects; website (re)designs, other design work).
- Recruit and supervise communication and social media interns.
- Plan and execute communication activities attached to LIBER events and conferences.
- Team up with and engage members of LIBER’s office and the wider network (e.g. Working Groups) to align communication strategies.
- Measure the impact of communication activities, and report on their success through reports and presentations to LIBER’s Executive Board and Executive Director.
- Report on LIBER’s strategic successes through, for example, mid-year strategy updates and the production of the Annual Report.
- Relevant background, preferably in the research library field.
- Eligibility to work in the Netherlands (i.e., EU citizenship or equivalent).
- Degree in a relevant discipline, preferably a master’s degree in communication, public relations, journalism, English, or media studies.
- 3+ years’ experience in a mid-level to senior communications role.
- Native-level English speaker, with understanding of at least one other European language.
- Ability to create clear and concise messages from relatively complicated ideas and documents.
- Understanding of copywriting, graphic design, layout, and publishing.
- Demonstrable experience in procurement processes for website development and managing suppliers.
- Affinity with issues of relevance to research libraries and LIBER’s mission, or commitment to learn in a short period of time (e.g., Open Access, Open Science, Copyright, Research Data Management, etc).
- Experience in developing and implementing media, advocacy, or marketing campaigns.
- Excellent oral, written, and presentation skills in the English language.
- A self-starter who is keen to work in a small team to make a big difference.
- Ability to work calmly under pressure and to prioritise a heavy workload.
- A logical approach to problem-solving.
- Ability to manage and negotiate with external service providers.
- Creative and flexible, with a demonstrable feeling for innovation.
- Experience in communication tools and platforms, in particular social media management software (i.e. Hootsuite) and social media platforms in general.
- Technical proficiency in:
- Website content management systems (preferably WordPress).
- Publishing platforms like Zenodo.
- Social media, with an emphasis on Twitter,LinkedIn and Instagram.
- MS Office software.
- Graphic design software (eg. Photoshop, InDesign, Canva).
- Basic video production and editing.
- Experience with search engine marketing and Google Analytics.
- Experience in mass mailing campaigns using tools such as Mailchimp.
We offer you:
- The chance to be part of a young and ambitious international team.
- Personal development and lots of variety in your work.
- A broad scope of responsibilities.
- Above average holidays (roughly 42 days / 338 hours of holiday per year for a full-time position).
- Salary – Scale 9 or 10. This implies a full-time equivalent of minimum €3099 to maximum gross €4695 per month (depending on experience), plus a vacation allowance of 8%, and a December allowance of 8.33%.
- Benefits – An excellent pension scheme and a flexible and friendly working environment.
- Reports to – the Executive Director.
- Location – LIBER Office, Koninklijke Bibliotheek, The Hague.
- Hours of Work – 100%, 40 hours per week.
- Period of Appointment – A 1-year contract will be offered initially. A permanent contract will be possible, depending on performance.
Special Working Conditions
Occasional out-of-hours working, including weekends, as well as regular travelling is expected. This is in association with conferences, meetings, and other events. We offer a flexible working environment in a small team.
Do you recognise yourself in this profile? For an informal discussion regarding the position please contact LIBER Executive Director, Astrid Verheusen email@example.com, +31 6 54607199). To apply, please submit your CV and covering letter outlining your eligibility for and interest in this position to firstname.lastname@example.org using ‘Communications Specialist’ in the subject line.
The closing date for applications is 30 October 2022.
[Photo by ROBIN WORRALL on Unsplash]