Job Opening: Communications Manager
Founded in 1971 and based in The Hague, LIBER is Europe’s largest research library network. We help our university, national and special libraries to support world-class research.
Due to the departure of the current position holder, LIBER is looking for a Communications Manager who can lead the drafting, implementing and measuring LIBER’s communication activities, and in conveying LIBER’s internal and external messages. The successful candidate creates, plans, coordinates and executes communication activities in close collaboration with LIBER’s Steering Committees and Working Groups, the projects in which we participate and other organizations in the network, for their implementation. Crucially, key messages will be shared with defined target audiences (libraries, universities, EU institutions), in order to build understanding of LIBER’s mission, enhance LIBER’s image and reputation and create awareness regarding LIBER’s activities.
Are you outgoing and confident in all aspects of communications? Can you develop and implement communications plans and policies for internal and external communications? Can you team up with and engage members of LIBER’s office and the wider network to align strategies, advise on best practices and identify synergies such as shared themes, goals or platforms? Can you measure the impact of these plans and activities, and report on their success through reports and presentations to LIBER’s Executive Board? If so, we invite you to apply. This is a full-time position, starting immediately.
Strategy & Advice
- Establish, execute and measure all aspects of LIBER’s multi-channel communications strategy through the development of plans, policies; and ensure consistent branding for internal and external communications.
- Play a role in shaping LIBER’s overall strategy by applying and sharing communications expertise;
- Report on LIBER’s strategic successes through, for example, mid-year strategy updates and the production of our Annual Report;
- Advise the Board on strategies for key campaigns and goals, and on reputational risks, using intelligence gathering during the execution of your role.
- Measure the impact of these plans and activities, and report on their success through reports and presentations to LIBER’s Executive Board and Executive Director.
- Oversee the Communications Budget and ensure it is effectively used.
- Encourage two-way communication across our network of more than 200 volunteers and 450 research libraries by, for example, proactively collecting feedback and creating opportunities for dialogue;
- Coordinate and create communication activities: contacts with the network, interest groups and external agencies.
- Team up with and engage members of LIBER’s office and the wider network (eg. heads of Steering Committees and Working Groups) to align communications strategies.
Campaigns & Communications Materials
- Create and maintain content across a range of publications and materials including (but not limited to) newsletters, websites, reports, infographics, posters, press releases and slide decks.
- Manage all social media channels, both in terms of the posting of new content and the monitoring of activity for trends or comments of importance to LIBER;
- Oversee and edit materials created by network members to ensure clarity of message, consistency of style and correct use of the LIBER brand.
- Organise and run ongoing initiatives including LIBER’s highly-successful webinar series.
- Proactively identify opportunities to take LIBER’s communications to a higher level through creative storytelling and the effective use of graphics and data.
- Commission, coordinate and supervise partner agencies to ensure the successful execution of larger projects (eg. creating brand identities for projects; website redesigns).
- Collaborate with office colleagues in the design and implementation of communications activities in the context of LIBER’s projects portfolio and supporting in the creation of digital, video, audio and print content.
- Plan and execute communications activities attached to LIBER events and conferences.
- Degree in relevant discipline, preferably a Master’s Degree in communications, public relations or media studies.
- 5+ years’ experience in a medium to senior communications role.
- Ability to create clear and concise messages from relatively complicated ideas and documents.
- Experience managing digital content
- Understanding of copywriting, graphic design, layout, and publishing
- Affinity with issues of relevance to research libraries and LIBER’s mission, or commitment to learn in a short period of time (e.g. Open Access, Open Science, Copyright, Research Data Management, etc).
- Native-level English speaker, with understanding of at least one other European language.
- Demonstrable project management experience, with a track record of delivering on objectives.
- Experience developing and implementing media, advocacy or marketing campaigns.
- Excellent oral, written and presentation skills.
- A self-starter who is keen to work with a small team to make a big difference.
- Ability to work calmly under pressure and to prioritise a heavy workload.
- A logical approach to problem-solving.
- Excellent networking and leadership skills.
- Excellent copywriting and copy editing abilities
- Ability to manage and negotiate with external service providers.
- Creative and flexible, with a demonstrable feeling for innovation.
- Experience of current communication tools, in particular social media.
- Technical proficiency in:
- Website content management systems (preferably WordPress)
- Social media, with an emphasis on Twitter and LinkedIn
- MS Office software
- Graphic design software (eg. Photoshop, InDesign).
- Video production and editing
- Search engine marketing and Google Analytics
We Offer You
- The chance to be part of a young and ambitious international team;
- Personal development and lots of variety in your work;
- A broad scope of responsibilities.
- Salary -Scale 10 or 11. This implies a full-time equivalent of minimum €2.807 to maximum gross €5.196 per month (depending on experience), plus a vacation allowance of 8%, and a December allowance of 8.33%.
- Benefits – An excellent pension scheme, a flexible and friendly working environment and 42 days holiday (based on a full-time position).
- Reports to – the Executive Director.
- Location – LIBER Office, Koninklijke Bibliotheek, The Hague.
- Hours of Work – 100%, 40 hours per week.
- Period of Appointment – A 1-year contract will be offered initially. A permanent contract will be possible, depending on performance.
Special Working Conditions
Occasional out-of-hours working, including weekends, as well as regular travelling is expected. This is in association with conferences, meetings and other events. Because of Covid-19 we now work from home and temporarily organise all events online. We offer a flexible working environment in a small team.
Do you recognise yourself in this profile? For an informal discussion regarding the position please contact LIBER Executive Director, Astrid Verheusen (email@example.com, +31 6 54607199). To apply, please submit a CV and covering letter outlining your eligibility for and interest in this position to firstname.lastname@example.org using ‘Communications Manager’ in the subject line.
Applications will be assessed as soon as they come in. The ultimate closing date for applications is 24 August 2020.