LIBER 2019: Annual Conference Survey Results
LIBER Day 2 Pic Paul Sharp/SHARPPIX
Thank you to everyone who participated in our feedback survey for LIBER’s 2019 Annual Conference in Dublin, Ireland.
The main findings are presented here. We’ll use your feedback to improve LIBER 2020 in Belgrade, Serbia on 24-26 June 2020 at the University of Belgrade.
Presentations and recordings from LIBER 2019 can be found here.
- The survey was completed by 47% of the 479 conference delegates.
- They rated LIBER 2018 an 8/10 overall.
- 87% said they are likely to attend or recommend LIBER 2020 to others.
- All the three keynote talks (Linda Doyle, Richard Ovenden, Astrid Söderbergh Widding) were very well received. Respondents gave the keynote speakers an average approval rating of 91% (‘good’ and ‘very good’ answers combined), far above the long-term average of 77% for keynote speakers, and the highest since 2011.
Delegates also appreciated the networking opportunities, the friendly and very helpful volunteers, good organisation of the event and live sketching.
Your LIBER 2019 Highlights
In addition to the keynote talks, Mary Robinson’s speech at the Thursday reception and the many networking opportunities were mentioned as highlights. Other positives included:
- Excellent pre-conference workshops and the overall good quality of the sessions
- Helpful volunteers, great organization and central location
- Live sketching giving an overview of the key points of the talks
- Opportunity to meet and exchange ideas with colleagues across Europe
What to Repeat at LIBER 2020
We wanted to know what aspects of LIBER 2019 should be repeated at LIBER 2020 and you said:
- Smooth and efficient running of the conference, great organization, excellent host and volunteers.
- Conference badges. “Excellent badges with all the info you need!”
- Opportunities for exchanging ideas and networking
- Poster session. “The poster presentations were excellent. Include more posters and give people more than 1 minute to explain them.”
- High-quality keynotes.
- Live sketching.
- Positive atmosphere and good vibe.
- Presence of exhibitors and sponsors.
Suggestions for Improvements
We also asked in the survey which aspects you would like to change for LIBER 2020 and you said:
- Spread out parallel sessions evenly. Plan less sessions taking place at the same time or run the same sessions multiple times during the conference.
“Don’t run all the parallel sessions together – if you spread them out more we get a better opportunity to attend more.”
“Perhaps slightly fewer parallel tracks – it was often difficult to choose between compelling topics, although I realise that would mean fewer topics would get covered.”
- Have more time for speakers sessions.
- More diverse conference topics.
“ [I would suggest to change] The overall stress on open access and open science. I know these are very important matters but running a library means so much more. The last couple of years I really missed management, special collections, people’s management etc.”
- New conference format ideas such as lightning talks, shorter show-and-tell sessions, more interactive sessions, social icebreaker sessions, open debates, participatory sessions, buddy scheme, and unconference.
- A more environmentally-sustainable conference.
“Less paper – I felt that the program was a waste of paper, let people use a digital version – create an App.”
“Bags, printed programme, book gift, gift at the reception … not sustainable and not necessary.”
We appreciate your feedback and will take it into consideration as we plan LIBER 2020.
If you would like to provide further feedback on the 2018 Conference, this survey or LIBER in general, please email the LIBER Office.
Related news articles