LIBER Alert | Research Library and Open Science News | 19 November 2020
This is the 39th LIBER Alert.
LIBER Alerts are delivered each month to you and 781 other readers because you’ve signed up for news, resources and Open Science updates from LIBER and the wider research community.
- New email address: A kind reminder to update your email addresses directory. From now on, LIBER’s main email address is firstname.lastname@example.org . All prefixes will now have this extension. (The old email address ‘kb.nl’ won’t be effective by mid-December anymore.)
Last call to fill the survey “The State of Research Libraries During COVID-19: How Can LIBER Support You?” Research libraries are currently challenged due to the on-going pandemic and face difficult decisions about several pressing issues. LIBER wants you to know that we are here for you and we will support you during these times. In order to understand your situation better and how we can help, we kindly ask you to fill out this COVID-19 survey.
The outcome of the results will be discussed during a panel discussion: Research Libraries & COVID-19 – Impact & Plans for the Future, Friday December 4 2020 3:30 PM – 4:30 PM (CET).
LIBER’s Executive Director, Astrid Verheusen, will present the main findings of the survey results among these other panelists:
- Jeannette Frey, LIBER President, Director of Director of Bibliothèque Cantonale et Universitaire, Lausanne (BCU)
- Matt Greenhall, Deputy Executive Director (RLUK)
- Mary Lee Kennedy, Executive Director, Association of Research Libraries (ARL)
- Martine Pronk, Division Manager, Academic Services, University of Utrecht Library
- Giannis Tsakonas, Director, Library & Information Center, University of Patras
The moderator will be Hilde van Wijngaarden, LIBER Treasurer, Director University Library, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Grab yourself a cup of your favorite morning beverage every Tuesday at 10 am and (re)discover LIBER’s webinars on Twitter.
- LEADERSHIP WEBINAR SERIES: “Leadership in Times of Crisis” :
- How are Research Libraries leading in the times of COVID-19? Monday, November 23, 2020 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM (CEST). There are more than 80 people registered, but there are still places available! Register here.
- New challenges and leading into the Post-COVID-19 Recovery for Research Libraries. Monday, November 30, 2020 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM (CEST). There are more than 80 people registered, but there are still places available! Register here.
- Webinar: Using IIIF to share, open and enrich your collections. Tuesday, November 24, 2020 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM (CEST). Register here.
- Webinar: FIM Principles & Recommendations for Libraries. Wednesday, November 25, 2020 3:00 PM – 4:00 PM (CEST). Highly popular, a few spots are still open! Register here.
- Webinar: Measuring the Impacts of Curatorial Actions on Research Data Reuse at ICPSR. Thursday, December 3, 2020 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM. Register here.
- Panel Discussion: Research Libraries & COVID-19 – Impact & Plans for the Future, Friday December 4 2020 3:30 PM – 4:30 PM (CEST). LIBER’s Executive Director, Astrid Verheusen, will present the main findings of the survey results. Register here.
- Save the date! Stay tuned for the launch of the EOSC Co-creation Workshops, organised by LIBER and SKS which will take place in late January 2021.
- The European Commission is launching a new Open Access publishing platform, Open Research Europe. This new platform represents the European Commission’s vision to drive innovation and economic growth by removing barriers to scientific discovery. Researchers are encouraged to start preparing their work for submission by firstly reading the article guideline.
- ReCreating Europe has launched a survey analysis on the impact of copyright law and open policies in relation to digitisation in the GLAM sector. If you work in a library, please fill the survey here. It will be online until early December.
- The new website is now launched with a call to the community to register to the first newsletter.
Realising the European Open Science Cloud: towards a FAIR research data landscape for the social sciences, humanities and beyond. Videos of all sessions are available on the SSH Open Cloud YouTube channel.
Network & Open Science News
- Job vacancy in Lausanne, Switzerland: The EPFL invites applications for the position of Director of Scientific Information and Library Services reporting to the Vice President for Research. You can apply here.
- Job Vacancy in Dublin, Ireland: User Experience and Engagement Coordinator, RCSI University of Medicine and Health Sciences. Click here for full details and to apply.
- Call for papers for the DCDC21 virtual conference which theme is “Catalysts for change: transforming our practices, collections, and communities through times of crisis.” will be held from the 28th of June to 2nd of July 2021. The call for papers closes on 22nd January 2021.
- Call for papers at the next International Conference on ICT enhanced Social Sciences and Humanities 2021. June 28 – 30, 2021 – Online conference – Free to attend and free to publish.
- The CNI has recently published a report based on the executive roundtable held last September 2020 entitled “What Happens to the Continuity and Future of the Research Enterprise: Looking to 2020-2021 and Beyond.”
- COAR and Jisc OpenODAR have released a joint roadmap for sustainability and community governance for OpenDOAR as an international, community-driven repository directory.
- The French national Committee for Open Science has recently published an English version of the Passport For Open Science, a guide designed to accompany PhD students at every step of their research career, whatever their disciplinary field.
- SPARC Europe has published their latest report: Scoping the Open Science Infrastructure Landscape in Europe, 2020. You can download the report here.
- IFLA Acquisition and Collection Development Section (ACD) has launched a Survey on Open Access development and its impact on library collections and content.
Want to share your news in the next LIBER Alert? Email email@example.com with a one-sentence description and a link related to the news, event, or job vacancy you’d like to share. LIBER Alerts are brought to you by Europe’s Largest Network of Research Libraries.