Beta Test of Library Carpentry Introduction to AI and Machine Learning – Workshop Series on Applying and deploying AI in GLAMs
This workshop is part of a series of workshops (Applying and deploying AI in GLAMs) organised by AI4LAM and co-hosted by LIBER and the BnF. Read more about the workshop series here.
In this workshop, Mark Bell, Mike Trizna, Nora McGregor, and Daniel van Strien will beta test the lesson that is currently in the early stages of development and is to become a part of the Library Carpentry Curriculum. The workshop aims to empower GLAM (Galleries, Libraries, Archives, and Museums) staff by providing the foundation to support, participate in and begin to undertake in their own right, machine learning-based research and projects with heritage collections.
After attending, participants will be able to:
- Explain and differentiate key terms, phrases, and concepts associated with AI and Machine Learning in GLAM;
- Describe ways in which AI is being innovatively used in the cultural heritage context today;
- Identify what kinds of tasks machine learning models excel at in GLAM applications;
- Identify weaknesses in machine learning models;
- Reflect on ethical implications of applying machine learning to cultural heritage collections and discuss potential mitigation strategies;
- Summarise the practical, technical steps involved in undertaking machine learning projects.
- Identify additional resources on AI and Machine Learning in GLAM.
Mark Bell is a member of the Research Team at The National Archives of UK. Mike Trizna is a Data Scientist with the Smithsonian Institution. Nora McGregor is the British Library’s Digital Curator for European & Americas Collections. Daniel van Strien is a Digital Curator working on Living with Machines, a collaborative project involving the British Library, the Alan Turing Institute, and researchers from a range of UK universities.
The space in the workshop is limited. To ensure your successful registration, please, register early until the maximum capacity is reached. Please, let us know should you not be able to attend so that a participant from the waiting list can take your place.
This workshop is organised by AI4LAM and co-hosted by the Smithsonian Data Science Lab as part of the workshop series ‘Applying and deploying AI in GLAMs’.
Note: Full capacity for this workshop has been reached. If you sign up, you will be placed on the waiting list. If a place in the workshop becomes available, you will then receive a message. You can also choose to watch the recorded event on LIBER’s YouTube channel after the workshop.
[Photo by Michael Dziedzic on Unsplash]