LIBER Alert | Research Library and Open Science News | 17 September 2020
This is the 37th LIBER Alert.
LIBER Alerts are delivered each month to you and 760 other readers because you’ve signed up for news, resources and Open Science updates from LIBER and the wider research community
EXECUTIVE BOARD & OFFICE
- New email address: Please update your email addresses directory! From now on, LIBER’s main email address is firstname.lastname@example.org. All prefixes will now have this extension.
- Executive Board Member: Congratulations to Cecile Swiatek, our executive board member, who has been nominated by Livres Hebdo for the “Grand Prix des Bibilothèques”.
LIBER has launched a new survey on Open Research.
Have you voiced your opinion yet?
If not, please complete this short questionnaire.
It will be online until mid-October.
Later this year, the European Commission will launch the ‘Open Research Europe’ (ORE), an open-access Publishing Platform for Horizon 2020 beneficiaries. ORE is a significant step towards Open Science in Europe. LIBER, as an expert partner in the project, will ensure that the voice of research librarians is heard in the project. In this respect, this survey was launched early September, so please complete the questionnaire and let’s make a difference together!
Thank you in advance for your participation.
Grab yourself a cup of your favorite morning beverage every Tuesday at 10 am and (re)discover LIBER’s webinars on Twitter.
Copyright and Open Licensing – What have we learned from the COVID-19 pandemic? Join the Discussion Online on the 30th of September, at 11AM CET.
In March 2020, at the height of the global lockdown, UNESCO estimated that more than 1.5 billion students in 193 countries were affected by closures in schools and universities. Teaching and learning had to move off-campus and online overnight. With libraries suddenly closed in many countries, access to many physical books and journals became impossible. Online access to digital content – whether digitized by lecturers from their personal collections at home, created anew or available from publishers, was the only means to continue education.
This discussion with speakers from Frontiers, an Open Access publisher, a research funder (TBD), and chairs of LIBER’s copyright and Open Access working groups, aims to focus on what we have learned from the pandemic in terms of the need to facilitate online and open forms of knowledge sharing.
- Event: Joint EOSC-hub – FREYA – SSHOC event. Save-the-date! This 4-day conference will take place online, from the 16th until the 19th of November 2020. More details will come soon. but keep an eye on our channels.
- Project poster: INOS has published a e-poster of the project that was presented at the conference organized by the European Citizen Science Association (ECSA)
- Survey ReCreating Europe has launched a survey to analyse the impact of copyright law and open policies in relation to digitization in the GLAM sector. If you work in the GLAM sector, please complete this questionnaire here.
NETWORK AND OPEN SCIENCE NEWS
- SPARC Europe is looking for an Open Education Community Manager to boost its activity in Open Education in Europe’s libraries of Higher Education. Download the job ad here.
- EBLIDA: LIBER, EBLIDA, and libraries all over Europe are calling for a reinforcement of the European cultural and educational dimension. Find out more here.
- LIBER-EOSC Co-Creation Workshops: there is a call for speakers and a call for rapporteurs. Both calls close on October the 2nd.
- Open Science Conference 2021: call for Speakers and Poster Presentations. Submission deadline: 9th of October.
- “Putting Data Protection Into Practice: The GDPR and the DARIAH ELDAH Consent Form Wizard”
When: 13th of October, 10 AM CET. Register here (required to participate) and read more information here.
- “Sharing Datasets of Pathological Speech”
When: 14th of October, 2PM CET. Register here.
- “Introducing the newly launched EMM Survey Registry”.
When: 26th of October at 2PM CET. Register here.
- Digital Humanities in the Nordic countries (DHN 2020), Riga 20-23 October
- CONUL Conference 2020, Limerick 25-26 November
- Save the date! Joint EOSC-hub – FREYA – SSHOC online event from the 16th until the 19th of November 2020
- Save the date! COVID-19 Virtual Roundtable on December 4th 2020. LIBER will be soon sending out a survey about the situation with research libraries during the pandemic and how LIBER can support them.
Want to share your news in the next LIBER Alert? Email email@example.com with a one sentence description and a link related to the news, event or job vacancy you’d like to share. LIBER Alerts are brought to you by Europe’s Largest Network of Research Libraries.